Are you certified?

The complete legal service

A large part of the conveyancing process involves your solicitor checking whether any works that have been carried out to the property being purchased, have the benefit of the appropriate statutory certificates.

It is therefore important that if you are having works carried out to your property that you ensure that the appropriate certificates are obtained and safely stored by you.

Have you had work done since 2002?

Any replacement windows or doors fitted since April 2002 will require a FENSA or CERTASS Certificate confirming that the installation complies with Building Regulations.

Any new gas boiler installed since April 2005 will similarly need a Corgi or Gas Safe Installation Certificate confirming that the installation complies with Building Regulations. Similar requirements apply to wood or log burners and oil-fired boilers where a HETAS Certificate is required.

If electrical works have been undertaken, then these would need to be covered by either a Part P Certificate or an NICEIC Certificate.

Before contracting any of these works you should ensure that your workman is suitably trained and registered and that they are able to provide the necessary certificate, as and when the works have been completed.

Any replacement windows or doors fitted since April 2002 will require a FENSA or CERTASS Certificate.

Care should also be taken when commissioning building works or alterations to the structure of the property. For major works planning permission is often required and all building works need to comply with Building Regulations. Following completion of the works they need to be inspected by the Building Control Department who will issue a Completion Certificate for Building Regulation purposes. This is a very important document and should be safely stored.

Help is at hand

We encounter a number of situations where the appropriate certificates are not available either because the client did not know that these were needed or quite often because the works were carried out by an unauthorised contractor, who was unable to provide the relevant certificates.

As you will appreciate this can cause problems and delays during the course of any conveyancing transaction. There are a number of ways in which the problem can be overcome, and our solicitors will be able to assist you with the options available.

If you are intending to sell or buy a property and would like to know more or have any concerns or questions relating to the matters referred to above, then please contact us on 01268 745406 or by email at

Conveyancing Department

    Our team of conveyancers have many years of experience in all types of property transactions and are all accredited by the Law Society Conveyancing Quality Scheme (CQS), which is a scheme of standard…

    Read more »

    More from our blog

    View all articles

    Divorce Law changes afoot

    MP's will debate the Divorce, Dissolution and Separation Bill today, Monday 8 June 2020, as it receives its second reading in the House of Commons.

    Read more »

    Families in Lockdown - A Time for Decisions

    We are all having to live and come to terms with a ‘new world order’. Our lives have been turned upside down almost in the blink of an eye. Talk of lifting the lockdown is confused and we are copin…

    Read more »

    Put your affairs in order

    Following the spread of Coronavirus/Covid-19 I thought that it was an appropriate time to review and put my affairs in order. Everyone should also consider making a Lasting Power of Attorney to deal …

    Read more »